Anatomy of a SafeRide Call
SafeRide runs from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. 7 nights a week while classes are in session during the Fall and Spring semesters.
SafeRide runs from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights while classes are in session during the Summer semesters.
You can now schedule your free SafeRide trip through a new app called KU SafeRide! The app is available in both iTunes and Google Play- there is no additional fee for using the app.
- Enter in your KU Online ID in the app. This provides proof that you are a KU student and are eligible for rides with SafeRide.
- When you are ready to schedule a ride, click on "Go to KU on Demand".
- Booking a ride is quick and easy! All you have to do is enter in your current location (this can be anywhere inside the Lawrence city limits) and your home address.
- Trip options. Students have the ability to request a vehicle with wheelchair access, a walker, or a scooter through "Trip Options".
- Ready to ride? Click "Book Trip" once you are finished entering in all of your information. A SafeRide vehicle should arrive at your location within 10-15 minutes of booking the ride.
Or call (785) 864-SAFE 
For every SafeRide call, the dispatcher requires the same information in the same order. Before you call, get to a place where the dispatcher can hear you and have this information ready. This will ensure shorter wait times for every Jayhawk who needs a safe ride home.
- Have your KU ID number and card ready. This service is only available to the people who fund it: KU students. Your KU Card is your ticket to a safe ride home, once you are picked up you must show the physical card to the driver. (No card = no service.)
- Know your exact location. At this point in the call, dispatchers are determining which car is closest to you. The quicker you can provide your location, the quicker a car can be sent to you. The name of a business, restaurant, etc. that is near your location will also help drivers determine where you will be picked up and can be used for your location!
- Have your home address ready. Unfortunately, we can’t allow you to give directions in the car. SafeRide dispatchers have a high call volume and must keep track of each car’s location and destination to determine which car is best suited to the next callers’ needs. You will be asked to provide your home address during the phone call. (SafeRide is a service that will take you home from anywhere within the Lawrence city limits).
- Know how many passengers are coming along. Gathering your friends before you’re on the phone with the dispatcher ensures shorter wait times for the Jayhawks still on hold. Help your fellow Jayhawks out and do a head-count before you call.
- Keep track of when and where the dispatcher tells you to wait. The SafeRide driver is unable to call you when they arrive and will only wait 5-10 minutes for you before they must move on to their next passenger.
- Stand in a well-lit area and watch for a car or a van with the official KU SafeRide logo- a vehicle will usually arrive within 10-15 minutes from the time you scheduled your trip.
*Note to Scholarship Hall residents: due to past issues, SafeRide cars generally do not enter the area around 14th & Tennessee. Unfortunately, this is exactly where you live. The SafeRide dispatcher will most likely recommend an alternate drop-off location that may still require that you walk a block or two to get home. We apologize for this inconvenience.
(Follow @TransitKU on Twitter for frequent service updates.)